Our Hostel

The hostel stands in its own gardens in a commanding location overlooking Morecambe Bay to the Lakeland Fells.  The village centre is half-mile distance, but open countryside is virtually on the doorstep.  Our beautiful building dates from 1911 and has a mellow, mature and understated grandeur that takes one back to the less frenetic Edwardian age

Originally a Halls of residence for a girls boarding school, the YHA bought and converted the building into a hostel in 1978.  Then in February 2014 sold the building to its present owners Leigha and Martin who moved in into the property with their 4 children, 2 cats and a dog and kept it running as an Independnet Hostel. 

The capacity of 70 is in varying room sizes which sleep 1 to 8 persons in both dorm and private rooms, with the majority of rooms made up of bunk beds, but with some double and single beds.  All bedding is provided

Hostel Improvements

To date we have already improved the communal areas, decorating the dining room, lounge, games room corridors, bedrooms and a much needed complete refurb of the self-catering kitchen. This year we have finished the ground floor with some great new meeting/social rooms, a new bike store & workshop and outside BBQ area, we have now fully restored nearly half of our bedrooms and made further improvements in communal areas and corridors. 

We hope to continue tackling a very long list of things to do but what ever changes - showers and heating are next on the investment list. Rest assured any improvements we do make it is always in our minds not to take away any of the charm and appeal that has drawn customers here in the past. There has been an overwhelming request from visitors who have passed through the hostel these last few years "please don't change it too much, keep the individuality, we appreciate your hostel doesn't have the corporate feel that is taking over elsewhere, so we won't.

Hostel History